Jicama is reputed to be an excellent prebiotic and can be added to many types of salads or, if young and tender, peeled and eaten plain. I love to experiment with new salads and this one is perfect for the large, tough jicama sold where we live. We ate it for dinner with slow baked burger patties. I used a food processor to grate the jicama and carrot and to thin slice the fresh pepper.
- 1 lb peeled jicama grated.
- 1 large carrot grated.
- 1 medium fresh pepper thinly sliced. I used a fresh poblano.
- 2 green onions diced.
- 3 oz California black olives chopped.
- juice of 1/2 lemon.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin.
- 1/2 Teaspoon sweet paprika.
- fresh ground salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients directly to the bowl and toss again until thoroughly mixed.
- If you love hot and spicy, add some minced fresh hot chili or powdered cayenne.
- Smoked paprika can be substituted for sweet paprika to add a smoked flavor.
- Chipotle chili flakes will add both heat and smokey flavors.